Looking forward to the big move into our new home in September

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Folded Spools


My newest project was born yesterday with the little help of EQ.
I’m a fan of folded fabrics, so I designed a little wallhanging showing 6 different spool-blocks. Each block is 4” finished, that’s a total of 28” at the end.
Monika, my best friend living in the lovely village Lüneburg and I planed to start this project during the last week of August, when I’m her guest for one week.
But I couldn’t wait and started today.


To sew half-square triangles I love to work with The Angler 2. Please visit http://www.pambonodesigns.com, they offer several Videos, which shows perfect how to use it. Did I mentioned before that I love good notions?

My first spool is done like a BOW TiE block with two half-square trianlges on two opposite places with a folded center.

I’ll show the details of making on the second block. The only difference is that this block is made with 4 quarter-square triangles and the center square. You may variate the measurement of the center to get different spools ;-)
To insert the folded square there are two methods to do this block. If you prefer to sew by hand, you may give it a try to sew clockwise or counterclockwise. By sewing with machine it is easier to do the two opposite sites first. Sounds complicate, but I hope the pictures will show, what I’m unable to explain clearly.


Start with this 5 pieces, in my example the finished block is 4”. So cut two 5 ¼ squares twice diagonaly: one of the background and of the spool fabric (brown). This way you get the fabrics for two blocks. The center fabric (thread color) is 4”, but it is variable. I choose plain fabrics or Marbles, handdyed – to show the thread.





This is the first step: fold the center square from bottom to top (left side to left side), place it on top of the right side of the upper left trianlge as shown.
Flip the upper right triangle (brown) on top of it to the left side.


ATTENTION: don’t sew into the seamallowence in the center of the block, otherwise you wan’t be able to iron the block clockwise (or counterclockwise). But that’s nessecary to lay the center flat.


No comments: